WinToFlash [The Bootable USB Creator]

Novicorp WinToFlash Forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 13:02

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 MERGED PARTITIONS HELP wintoflash beta .5 

Post MERGED PARTITIONS HELP wintoflash beta .5
Decided to setup install files on USB hard drive (not flash)
- Hard drive was partitioned into 3 separate partitions ~240gb ~240gb and ~11gb

I wanted to use the 11gb Partition to setup a new os from ISO, this worked great with my flash drive, but was to small, so read online that I could use an external hard drive.

Went to setup, and ran... after not too long got error "Cannot lock hard drive" so I canceled the process, uncomplete - NO Format. And viewed the mass storage device.

ALL PARTITION TABLES HAVE BEEN MERGED! I now have 1 partition listed at ~465gb (acroins), and it contains the data that was in 1 of the partitions. The other 2 partitions have been merged, and the data has DISAPPEARED. The Partition table appears corrupt, the new 'Merged' partition is reporting ~465gb in size, but computer still sees it at 240gb, and full.

I was prepared to loose the 11 gb of data, and it was in isolated partition... I am not prepared to loose the ~240gb of backup data on the missing partition. I have attempted to use Acroins partition recovery... but this only works if there is unallocated space where the partition was... this is not the case here because the Wintoflash has merged the partitions.

Please HELP! I need to restore the partition tables, and/or recover the data in some other way. This problem must be addressed by Novicorp, else will have many unhappy users, which is why we are beta testing :)

16 Nov 2009, 21:00
Report this post

Post Re: MERGED PARTITIONS HELP wintoflash beta .5
For anyone having this problem... I have found a fix... I downloaded "Partition Table Doctor 3.5" Ran it on the defunked drive, and recovered the partition table. All data in place! As you load the software DO NOT allow it to auto repair the mix-matched sector discrimination that it will auto-detect upon the initial scan. hit Cancel, then scan the drive unaltered. You should see the missing partitions, check them and hit next. Then After you must 'unhide' the partitions. Remove the USB drive, and re-insert and Presto all better.

16 Nov 2009, 21:45
Report this post
Technical Director

hi

don't worry, I don't know what was exactly happen but we will find out.

1st thing you have to do in situation lake this - backup byte-to-byte all data from damaged PHYSICAL MEDIA. Get WinHEX (Norton ghost and soft like this isn't useful in this situation) and use copy function to dump all data from MEDIA (not partition) to file. Be ready to restore it!

Then delete all data at PHYSICAL sector 0 of the media (it contents partition information) reboot. Then start any partition recovery utilities and search all drive for partitions.

And the must important thing - DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO DAMAGED DRIVE

To understand the structure of partitions table read this -
http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/fat16/
http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/m ... Tables.htm

16 Nov 2009, 21:58
Report this post
Profile WWW
Technical Director

I'm glad everything is all right.

Will you backup now? ;)

16 Nov 2009, 22:00
Report this post
Profile WWW
Support team

To complete your project - in advanced mood unselect Format Drive checkbox...

16 Nov 2009, 22:07
Report this post
Profile WWW

Octave23 wrote:
For anyone having this problem... I have found a fix... I downloaded "Partition Table Doctor 3.5" Ran it on the defunked drive, and recovered the partition table. All data in place! As you load the software DO NOT allow it to auto repair the mix-matched sector discrimination that it will auto-detect upon the initial scan. hit Cancel, then scan the drive unaltered. You should see the missing partitions, check them and hit next. Then After you must 'unhide' the partitions. Remove the USB drive, and re-insert and Presto all better.

I managed to merge 3 partitions because i use the wrong drive letter and it's my second HD.

Did you have to buy the product, the demo doesn't seem to let me save my fixes.

20 Nov 2009, 12:11
Report this post

Well I stayed calm and made sure no writes were being made to the drive.

Searched an old haunt of mine Virtual Dr and found a reference to TestDisk

Downloaded it and ran it, told it to save the info it found for my HD, rebooted when told and presto everythings back.

Phew.

I guess you don't think to back up your back up drive.

20 Nov 2009, 13:18
Report this post

Oh and just to follow up.

After my partitions were back, i formatted Fat32 the partition that I wanted to install the Ghost Recovery Disk too.

Copied across from a USB, the files created by WinToFlash and used GDISK to mark the partition active.

Now in boot up if I choose to boot from the 2nd hard drive it boots Ghost 10 Recovery and super fast.

Now just to integrate as an option in my normal WinXP Boot.ini file - any tips would be great.

21 Nov 2009, 14:37
Report this post
Technical Director

Do you want to integrate GHOST boot from second HDD to boot.ini @ 1st one?

The GHOST uses WinPE, right?

21 Nov 2009, 20:56
Report this post
Profile WWW

Yes that is correct WinXP on disk 0 partition 2 and Ghost 10 Recovery CD (WinPE) on disk 1 partititon 2

Last edited by Nix on 22 Nov 2009, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

22 Nov 2009, 10:41
Report this post
Technical Director

Will start experiment tomorrow, I wanna make thing like this... only with network backup.

22 Nov 2009, 11:11
Report this post
Profile WWW

Hi i know this is a old post but ive got the same problem as the original poster except it merged all my usb hard drive partitions and also i lost my D partition on my laptop where all my photos were so i used that partition table 3.5 to sort out my laptop first and it picked up the partitions after a deep scan but there was another partition i didnt even know about a dell recovery and now for some reason my laptop is only booting to that and not my windows i tried a old copy of a partition program and that still see's them but wont let me alter anything im using vista by the way thanks for any help

17 Nov 2010, 08:40
Report this post
Support team

Reinstall Windows to your laptor or start recovery mode of Windows setup (Windows Vista/7).

20 Nov 2010, 07:31
Report this post
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]