WinToFlash [The Bootable USB Creator]

Novicorp WinToFlash Forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 22:20

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Dual boot windows xp install, can't initiate Step 2 GUI... 
Post Dual boot windows xp install, can't initiate Step 2 GUI...
Hello,

I am trying to install a windows partition on my macbook pro using an 8GB usb stick. Steps I took:

1) Created partition with Boot Camp, 20GB
2) Used WinToFlash to create bootable usb
3) Installed reFind to let me select the usb when starting up mac

When I boot from the USB, I get the text menu as expected. I select the Text option, reformat the partition as NTFS, and windows installs fine. Next, it reboots, but instead of the boot loader menu I get:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Now I am confused because it's the same usb, and I have even tried remaking it to see if something was changed, but I can never even get the boot menu back again, it just instantly gives me this error. I have tried FAT16 CHF, FAT32 LBA (I think these are what they are called?), and it makes no difference. I have tried to edit the boot.ini but I'm afraid I don't really know what I'm doing. Here is the state of the boot.ini:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=30
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT = "1st, text mode setup (Boot from flash again after finished)"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="2nd, GUI mode setup, continue setup + 1st start of Windows" /fastdetect
C:\ = "---> DEBUG, in case of HAL.DLL or NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors <---"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 2" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 3" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 4" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 1" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 2" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 3" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 4" /fastdetect

Now I'm a bit confused that the boot loader specifies rdisk(1), don't we want it to boot from the USB (rdisk(0))?.

If I wipe the 20GB physical Boot Camp partition and start over, I again get the boot menu...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks

24 Aug 2014, 15:17
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]