WinToFlash [The Bootable USB Creator]

Novicorp WinToFlash Forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 20:15

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Questions about USB Booting 
Post Questions about USB Booting
Hi, I've just recently delved into this sort of stuff and have many questions I would please liked answered.

I've booted off Ubuntu on a USB drive, where I just had to Computer start-> F8 "Boot off USB". Then It loaded up Ubuntu and I was able to keep all the files and such securely away from my main internal hard drive.

What I'd like to do now is the same thing but with Windows.

Say that I put Windows 7 on a USB using WinToFlash, then booting it from start up-> F8 "Boot off USB", Does that same USB drive receive the Windows 7 that It has installed on it (Like the Linux USB).

If so, then please explain to me how some things work. Like
-What happens after you first boot it, and you set-up your Windows account name and everything, and then it HAS to restart and stuff then right? How does a restart work if it's booting off a USB? It will restart your computer, but will it won't go back to booting off the USB again right? You have to F8 "Boot off USB" again right? and then once you do that it goes into what would it normally be doing if it was the actual main booting hard drive and installs the rest of whatever it needs to for the Windows set-up (or say for Windows update)?

What happens if It requires a restart in the process and you don't boot-off the USB when your computer turns back on? Does anything weird happen?

How much space does a Windows 7 take up after installing it into a USB and then booting the USB and set-uping up the windows on it? roughly the same as the files (2 gigs or so?)

I will check this thread often, and probably ask more questions.

Thank you

30 May 2012, 18:41
Report this post
Post Re: Questions about USB Booting
Dear Larry:
your interest is more on the "live cd" utlity than on a botable installation.
I would strongly recomend google those terms and post your questions after that.

09 Aug 2012, 13:41
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]