WinToFlash [The Bootable USB Creator]

Novicorp WinToFlash Forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 04:39

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Use USB drive as drive containing XP so I boot&run from USB 

Post Use USB drive as drive containing XP so I boot&run from USB
Hi - I came to this site because I understood Win To Flash allowed me to load XP onto the USB drive so I could boot from and run XP from that USB drive, thus no longer needing a hard drive on the computer. (using a 32GB USB drive). But, in reading all that is here is seems that the main feature is to be able to install XP from the USB, not to load XP onto the USB to run it from the USB. The reason I want to do this is that I want to have some specialized use of this computer using only one program to do one things on this computer.

Can this be done with WinToFlash? How? Thanks.

21 Aug 2012, 23:09
Report this post

Post Re: Use USB drive as drive containing XP so I boot&run from
Hello, MakesOwnWeather!

You can install Windows XP on an external USB hard drive/USB flash drive, but you won't be able to boot from USB because, during booting, Windows XP sort of resets the USB drivers. There is an extremely complicated tweak to make it work in spite of this which is floating around the Internet, but that is well beyond my level. On the other hand, if you have a laptop or desktop computer that have native memory card slots, I think you should be able to install Windows XP on a memory card, and then boot from it once you insert the memory card into the slot.

Cheers,

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

14 Sep 2012, 08:57
Report this post

Thanks Carlos. That is the type of info that I could not get anywhere. I do not know anything about memory cards although I have been using these little computers since last 70s. So, I will find out and try it. Thanks again.

14 Sep 2012, 12:11
Report this post

My pleasure, MakesOwnWeather! And thank you for the nice words.

If you don't have a memory card slot (memory cards are also known as flash cards), another alternative way to boot Windows XP externally is by enclosing your hard drive inside an e-sata enclosure to connect it, obvioulsy, to an e-sata port. If you don't have a native e-sata port, there some PCI cards with e-sata ports that you can install in your computer; however, you have got to make sure that the PCI is bootable.

Keep us posted, and good luck!

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

15 Sep 2012, 03:53
Report this post

Wow, there are reasons for everything. Although I have temporarily bypassed the booting without HDD challenge, I see now that I have had my head so far into my applications that I have lost grounding in what has been going on in technology these past years. I have really learned that I have to re-focus on things. Thanks for opening me up to memory cards and e-stata cages and that i can get PCI cards that will allow me to experiment with these things. God bless!

15 Sep 2012, 13:22
Report this post
MakesOwnWeather wrote:
Wow, there are reasons for everything. Although I have temporarily bypassed the booting without HDD challenge, I see now that I have had my head so far into my applications that I have lost grounding in what has been going on in technology these past years. I have really learned that I have to re-focus on things. Thanks for opening me up to memory cards and e-stata cages and that i can get PCI cards that will allow me to experiment with these things. God bless!

hey you can also try linux,
linux can be installed on USB and then use wine to run windows apps.
this will save lot of space and time.
wine is an supporting system in linux for windows applications.

21 Sep 2012, 19:26
Report this post

Hi Hitesh - Thanks for the info. I purchased a USB that boots Ubuntu on my xp 64 bit machine that has plenty of space on local C and D, so I would like to try what you suggest. What is the best wine for running these XP programs on Ubuntu? (Should I use a flute glass or a balloon glass to let the software breathe? :)

21 Sep 2012, 19:50
Report this post

Hello again, MakesOwnWeather!

There is no straight answer. The idea is that the latest Wine is the most compatible, but that is not always the case. You see, an older application might work better with an older version of Wine. But in general, the safest bet is to use the latest Wine. There is a Web-site that shows results by users when it comes to particular applications and particular versions of Wine, but I don't have it handy. It is easy to find, though.

And God bless, too.

Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto

28 Sep 2012, 11:13
Report this post

You can install Windows XP on an external USB hard drive/USB flash drive, but you won't be able to boot from USB because, during booting, Windows XP sort of resets the USB drivers. There is an extremely complicated tweak to make it work in spite of this which is floating around the Internet, but that is well beyond my level. On the other hand, if you have a laptop or desktop computer that have native memory card slots, I think you should be able to install Windows XP on a memory card, and then boot from it once you insert the memory card into the slot.

01 Oct 2012, 10:33
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]