WinToFlash [The Bootable USB Creator]

Novicorp WinToFlash Forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 22:02

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 NTLDR is missing 

Post NTLDR is missing
Hi guys, I love the idea of Wintoflash but it hasn't worked for me so far

I'm running Win2Flash with a Dell XP sp3 install on an OCZ rally2 drive. I boot and either choose 'USB device' to boot from or promote it to the top of the boot list and upon booting I see the activity light on the drive flash then I see:

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart

I checked the drive and NTLDR is in the root along with:
$LDR$
ntdetect.com
txtsetup.sif

and two $WIN_NT$ folders

Have I done something wrong or is this a known issue? Does anyone have any ideas on getting it to work?

28 Aug 2009, 15:23
Report this post
Support team

Post Re: NTLDR is missing
Don't you have NTLDR file in the root of your USB drive? It can be hidden.

What's the USB emulation taype (set in BIOS) - ZIP or HDD?

If you really don't have the NTLDR file please, set logs level to Detailed, re-transfer the installation and share log file with us.

28 Aug 2009, 15:30
Report this post
Profile WWW

NTLDR is there, and I can see the computer access the drive but I still get the message. I've tried both FAT32 LBA and CHS. The computer in question is quite recent, I don't think it has a problem booting from USB media, I've used it numerous times with USB linux builds.

28 Aug 2009, 17:00
Report this post
Support team

Linux use different boot algorithm.

Please read your motherboard manual to set USB drives as HDD. This way Windows can boot from USB.

28 Aug 2009, 17:05
Report this post
Profile WWW

I see what you mean. I guess I'm SOL

28 Aug 2009, 18:08
Report this post
Support team

I don't mean you're crazy. I mean your motherboard can't support Windows boot from USB, or it can but you need to turn this option on manually.

NTLDR is missing message mean the partition boot record can't find NTLRD file on partition. May be FAT16 may help to fix this - FAT16 partition boot record is smaller and more simple...

28 Aug 2009, 18:31
Report this post
Profile WWW

Im getting the same issue, im using a 8 GB flash driver err the brand is a kingston. Now i was able to get a windows 7 USB install going from it a while back and i use it often to load linux for tech work etc. But the one thing ive never attempeted was a windows XP USB installer from it. So i run the program it does all its paces and boom it hits me with the NTDLR issue and ive tried formatting it numerouse times and starting from the beggining but i got nothing. I reviewed the detailed log file and found nothing out of the ordinary, it formatted well and all the setup files were copied perfectly..... Anyways im looking forward to get this ressolved and even though im having issues this is a great program keep up the fantastic work guys. :mrgreen:

28 Aug 2009, 23:13
Report this post

lorenzo6596 wrote:
Im getting the same issue, im using a 8 GB flash driver err the brand is a kingston. Now i was able to get a windows 7 USB install going from it a while back and i use it often to load linux for tech work etc. But the one thing ive never attempeted was a windows XP USB installer from it. So i run the program it does all its paces and boom it hits me with the NTDLR issue and ive tried formatting it numerouse times and starting from the beggining but i got nothing. I reviewed the detailed log file and found nothing out of the ordinary, it formatted well and all the setup files were copied perfectly..... Anyways im looking forward to get this ressolved and even though im having issues this is a great program keep up the fantastic work guys. :mrgreen:

one other thing whats the difference between FAT32LBA and FAT32 CHN?

28 Aug 2009, 23:15
Report this post
Support team

CHS and LBA is a addressing standards. Some BIOSes need old CHS addresses calculations.

Windows Vista/2008/7 have a new boot loader called bootmgr. No wonder you can't load Windows XP, but 7 is OK - try on another PC or laptop.

28 Aug 2009, 23:24
Report this post
Profile WWW

Post NTLDR is missing
hi

I am stuck on the same issue.Yesterday i made my HP C325W USB Flash drive Boot able for Win XP.And i installed OS yesterday successfully from my bootable USB on my Notebook.Today now when i tried again to boot from my USB Flash on the same notebook and the error received is "NTLDR is missing".NTLDR file is in root of USB.

29 Aug 2009, 05:26
Report this post
Support team

Did you transfer Windows setup to flash again after you finished first installation, of just trying to boot again from this flash?

Please, create file list on your USB flash:

open console, select Start - Run, enter cmd and press Enter
type tree d: /a > c:\1.txt where d: is your usb flash drive name, cmd c:\1.txt some path you wans to save exit file.
then share this file with us.

One note: did you get this message just after you PC trying to boot from USB, or you selected 1st stage the then you have this message? This is important.

29 Aug 2009, 08:24
Report this post
Profile WWW

Alright ill try the " tree d: /a > c:\1.txt " cmd that support gave and post my findings in a few.
O btw update, i changed the formatting method to FAT16 LBA and i still got the ntldr is missing error but when i did FAT16 CHS it worked fine, problem being that during the setup for XP it gave me a blue screen,unfortunetly the computer reset as soon as BSOD showed up so i didnt have time to writen it diwbm but i was installing XP and a test and now im going to start attempthing an install of 7 (7100) so right now im doing FAT32 CHS to see if i still get install errors if not ill post the file list on the flash drive. thanks for the support btw

30 Aug 2009, 19:54
Report this post
Support team

I think is was BSOD 0x7B. So, you need SATA drives or USB hub drivers.

30 Aug 2009, 20:37
Report this post
Profile WWW

alright from what i remember i chose the 1st option seeing how it said to choose that until i saw i desktop, it was right before the partition loader came up to select the OS installation and also i was using a micro build of XP that i nLited so i think that it had to do with that, either way ill try it again with a normal install disk and see how it goes.

30 Aug 2009, 20:50
Report this post
Support team

OK, it's good idea :)

30 Aug 2009, 20:53
Report this post
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next